What to do If Your Property Documents Were Lost?

Admin 07 Dec 2023 7,303 Views

Have you ever considered what may occur if you lose the property paperwork for your home? If so, we will show you how to register an online complaint for a missing land document. If not, you will know the significance and necessity of finding lost property paperwork for anyone who owns a home or is considering selling real estate.

Owning real estate means you know the need for the appropriate paperwork. These records serve as ownership proof and must be presented if you want to sell or otherwise use the property.

Your home's property paperwork is important when purchasing or selling real estate. Selling the property with the correct documents might be quite easy. If you misplace your paperwork, you will need to pay extra money to get duplicate property papers.

If you lose your property documentation, the necessary actions are listed below.

Procedure to find Property Documents when you lose them

  • Submit an FIR

When you realise you've lost your property documents, head to the closest police station and submit an FIR (First Information Report). The FIR must contain detailed information, including the incident's exact circumstances, theft, loss, or relocation. It must also specify where the incident occurred. They must be given a copy of the complaint after it is filed. Even if there is a mortgage on the property and the bank loses the paperwork, the owner is still required to submit an FIR. The owner needs to create a copy of the FIR and store it for later use.

The buyer should request a copy of the FIR from the seller. The owner may request a duplicate share certificate from the housing society based on the police complaint by asking for one at the society meeting. The housing society may charge a fee for a copy of the share certificate if the application is approved during the management committee meeting.

  • Advertisements in the Newspaper

You need to publish a property document loss ad in the newspaper after filing the FIR. It must be printed in both a local newspaper and an English newspaper. If they are found, a notification describing the property, the missing property paper, and how to get in touch should be posted. You then have to wait 15 days to see if anyone discovers and returns the missing property paper to their rightful owner.

This is one of the steps in the search for the missing property's original paperwork. This will aid in spreading knowledge of the theft so that members of the public can assist in returning the papers to their rightful owners because the property document missing advertisement in a newspaper will include all necessary details about the property.

Within 15 days of the notice's publication, the buyer may summon any property claims through this procedure. Another essential document that owners and buyers need from a housing society is the No Objection Certificate (NOC), which all lenders require.

  • Initiate a Duplicate Share Certificate Request

To get a duplicate share certificate if your property is a housing society member, contact the Resident Welfare Association (RAW). The RWA will require you to fill out an application and provide them with the FIR and newspaper notice. The RWA will call a meeting and review the records you supplied as loss proof afterward. If your application is approved, the housing society will charge you a fee and provide you with a share certificate. Furthermore, ask them for a Non-Objection Certificate (NOC), which is necessary for subsequent transactions.

  • Register with a Notary Public

The next step is to draught an undertaking on stamp paper regarding the loss of the property papers, together with the text of the newspaper ad and the police complaint number.

The undertakings must include all pertinent information about the property printed in the newspaper advertisement and the police complaint number. The notice must also expressly say that every aspect included in the endeavour shall be recognised as valid. Your commitment will become legally binding once all the required paperwork has been submitted, examined, and approved by the notary, who will certify it.

  • Get a Copy of the Selling Deed

The next step is to get a duplicate copy of the property's selling deed. Since the registrar's office will hold all property transaction records, you must provide copies of the police complaint, the advertising text, the share certificate, and the undertaking that has been notarized there. The costs must be paid, after which you will get a duplicate copy of the selling deed.

Apply to the property registrar with the required documents to receive duplicate copies of the sale deed. A duplicate purchase charge must be paid in person at the registrar's office.

● copies of FIR.

● Notification from the newspaper.

● a duplicate of the share certificates that have been issued.

● Notarized contract

Related Information TDS on Sale and Purchase of Property
Point to Keep in mind If a Property Document Loss

● A bank must pay you compensation if you entrust them with the safekeeping of your property documents and the bank loses them.

● You can report a missing land document online in some cities. If there is a way to submit the FIR online, you might do so to save time.

● Only the property owner may file an FIR alleging that the title documents are missing or misplaced.

Related Information How to Check Property Ownership Details Online in India

These days, issues like misplaced property paperwork or finding lost property documents are typical. Banks frequently lose documents due to negligence on their side or the property owner's carelessness. Documents lost as property should not be dismissed as minor issues. You can lose your house if someone with evil motives finds your missing property papers. If your banker accidentally misplaced your paperwork, take strict action and address the issue as quickly as possible.

Keeping your property paperwork safe in the first place is crucial.

About Author

Jatin Dubey

An enthusiastic content writer who is a law graduate and has been working as Real Estate Consultant for around 9 years.
He has worked with top Real Estate Agencies and Builders in Delhi, Bangalore and Pune. His skills to perform market analysis and explore high potential localities has helped many clients in the past.

An enthusiastic content writer who is a law graduate and has been working as Real Estate Consultant for around 9 years.
He has worked with top Real Estate Agencies and Builders in Delhi, Bangalore and Pune. His skills to perform market analysis and explore high potential localities has helped many clients in the past.

Post Blog